1 medium cooked lobster
1¼ cups milk
1 slice onion
1 bay leaf
6 black peppercorns
30 g butter
2 tablespoons plain flour
salt and white pepper
2 tablespoons cream
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Using a sharp knife cut lobster in half lengthways. Lift the meat from the tail and body of the lobster. Crack the legs and prise the meat from them. Remove the intestinal vein and soft body matter and discard. Cut meat into 2 cm pieces, cover and refrigerate. Wash the shell halves, drain, dry and retain.
2. Heat milk, onion, bay leaf and peppercorns in small pan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover; leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain.
3. Melt butter in large pan, add flour, stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; gradually add milk. Whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking over medium heat, until mixture boils and thickens. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in cream.
4. Fold lobster meat through the sauce. Divide mixture into shells; sprinkle top with cheese. Place under a preheated grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.
5. Spoon into lobster shells, sprinkle with cheese, dot with extra butter. Place under preheated grill 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
When buying a lobster, a harder shell means that it will have more meat and a softer shell will have sweeter meat.