2 small (about 550g each) whole chickens, fresh or frozen thawed
80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Lemon wedges, to serve
Jacoub’s iPortuguese Seasoning
1. Place 1 chicken, breast-side down, on a clean work surface. Use kitchen scissors or poultry shears to cut down both sides of backbone and discard. Turn chicken, breast-side up, and push down to flatten. Tuck wings under. Pat dry with paper towel. Repeat with remaining chicken. Use a knife to make several 5mm deep and 4cm long cuts into chicken meat. Place in a glass or ceramic baking dish.
2. Rub chicken with Jacoub’s iPortuguese Seasoning and leave for 3 hours or overnight to develop.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C. Place chicken and marinade in a roasting pan. Roast in oven, basting occasionally with pan juices, for 40 minutes or until brown and juices run clean when chicken is pierced with a skewer. Remove from oven and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
4. Meanwhile, to make the salad, place the tomato, rocket, cucumber, onion and olives in a bowl. Place oil, lemon juice and oregano in a screw-top jar and shake to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to combine.
5. Cut each chicken in half and serve with lemon wedges and salad.
Cook tented in tin foil – this traps the steam, allowing the chicken to cook evenly and stay succulent, and also stopping the spices from becoming burnt and bitter tasting